First Things First

This is a post about sewing.

In my last post, I noted that I wanted to focus on sewing some of these great historic dresses.  This will, no doubt, challenge my sewing skills considerably but I think that is a good thing.  I don’t want to turn away from challenges and that’s what I typically do where my sewing is concerned.

I have decided, therefore, to commit to only 3 projects this year.  Yes, that’s right, 3 projects.  They are big projects that will not only require a lot of time but will be a bit on the pricey side, considering that 2 of them will require more fabric and expensive fabric. (I’ve done this so that I can resist the temptation to buy more fabric that will sit in my stash for too long!) I also think they will challenge me considerably but I think they will be a lot of fun and certainly force me to slow down on my sewing.  I tend to be an instant gratification type of person and these projects will certainly make me slow down.

So, without further adieu, here we go.

My first project of the year will be this outfit:


I’m making this for Dapper Days at Disneyland in April.  I thought a Jungle Cruise theme would be cool.  I just pulled out the pattern and made my adjustments on the pattern today.  I am making this in cotton twill because I think it will be far too hot in Southern California for anything else.  As I read through the instructions, I realized that this project will be teaching me many new skills.  Funny, because the pattern says that it is for a person of average skills.  Welp, um, yeah.  Average skills are about what I am but I still haven’t done many of the things required for this jacket – welt pockets, shoulder pads, and things like that.  I will most likely need to make a top to go underneath the jacket and I have a great idea for a scarf that I will make through Spoonflower.

Second up, is this gown:




This will be my first foray into 18th Century dressmaking.  Not only will I be making the gown but I will be making the undergarments as well.   Corsetry is new to me so it will be interesting to see how it turns out.  This will also be quite expensive because I plan on using some pretty spectacular fabric for the gown.  I haven’t even shopped for the fabric yet but it’s on the list.

Third, and final, just in time for Christmas, is something I saw just today that I had to have:M7732_aThis one is so lovely, I just couldn’t resist!  I’m not sure if it’s 18th Century (maybe late 18th Edwardian) but I don’t care – I love it!  Those who are into this type of sewing seem to be very specific on eras.  I’m not there yet and just doing it because I love it so much!  I’m not sure if the corset I will make, above, will work with this (I don’t think it will).  If not, I will have to buy the accompanying pattern for the correct era.  We will see.

So, there you have it.  Three projects, lots of fabric, and lots of challenge.  We’ll see what happens.  Wish me luck.  I’ll need it.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s